Python is the world’s top programming language these days. Because of its easy to use and short lines of code, even a beginner in programming finds this language friendly.
So, if you are also new to Python or you want to learn this language, you will have to first install it in your desktop computer or laptop.
As most of the people use Windows 10 operating system, in this article, I’m going to cover the step by step instruction to install Python in Windows 10.
You can also watch this video for the complete installation process or continue reading this article below.
To install Python in Windows
- Firstly, visit the official download page for Python.
- You’ll see a download button here for the operating system you’re using. In my case, it shows the download button for Windows.
- Now, click the Download Python 3.8.2 button and the browser you are using will start downloading the executable file.
- After the download is complete, click the file to run the setup and you’ll see following setup window on the screen.
- Select the checkbox before Add Python 3.8 to PATH. If you do not select this, you’ll have to add the path later, so it’s better to do it here.
- Click Install Now to start the installation process.
- After the installation is complete, you’ll get a Setup was successful message. Close the window now.
- Now, you have installed Python on your computer. It’s time to run the program.
- So, in the Windows search box, type python and you’ll see IDLE (Python 3.8 32-bit).
- Click IDLE (Python 3.8 32-bit) to open it. The Python shell window will appear on the screen.
- In this shell window, you can write all your python programs, commands, and also execute them.
- To exit from the shell window, click File tab and then click Exit.
Download older Python versions
Incase, you want to work on older versions of Python, you can also find them on the website. In the downloads page, just scroll down and you’ll find a list of older releases.
- You can also check View older releases to find more older versions of Python.
- If you find the version you are looking for in the list, just click the Download in the row of the release version. It’ll take you to the download page for that specific release.
- In the download page, scroll down to the last and you’ll find Files heading.
- You’ll see a list of files available for different operating systems.
- Click the file that you want to download for the operating system you use and then you can do the installation.
I hope this article was helpful to you and understand how the complete process to downlaod and install Python on your computer. If you know someone looking for such step by step instructions to install Python, you can share this article using the sharing buttons below.