A table is a way to represent data in tabular form. The intersection of rows and columns makes a table and every box in a table is called a cell.
Microsoft Word offers some amazing tools that you can use to create table, merge cells, split cells, create table inside a cell, change border color, change table background etc.
To create a table
- Click on the document page where you want to insert table.
- Go to Insert tab and click Table, you’ll get a drop-down box. Click Insert Table.
- Enter number of columns and number of rows that you want in table.
- Click OK button and a table will appear in the document page with the specified number of columns and rows.
- Now, you can click on any cell and type what you want.
To add a new row
- Click anywhere in the row after or before which you want to add a new row.
- Go to Layout tab and you’ll find Insert Above and Insert Below options.
- To add a new row above, click Insert Above and if you want to add a new row below the current row, click Insert Below.
To add a new column
- Click on the column after or before which you want to add a new column.
- In the Layout tab, you’ll find Insert Left and Insert Right options.
- To add a new column to the left of the current column, click Insert Left. Click Insert Right to add a new column to the right of the current column.
To delete a row
- Click in the row that you want to delete.
- In the Layout tab, click Delete and click Delete Rows.
To delete a column
- Click in the column that you want to delete.
- Go to Layout tab, click Delete and click Delete Columns.
To merge two cells
- Select two cells that you want to merge. To select two cells, you can click on one cell, hold the mouse-left click and drag to the right side.
- In the Layout tab, click Merge Cells.
- The selected cells will merge into single cell.
To split a cell
- Click on the cell you want to split.
- In the Layout tab, click Split Cells.
- You’ll get Split Cells window. Enter number of columns and rows.
- Click OK and the cell will split to given columns and rows.
To delete a table
- Click anywhere in the table that you want to delete.
- In Layout tab, click Delete and click Delete Table.
To apply table background color
- First, select the table. Click the + sign at the top-left corner of the table.
- Go to Design tab and click Shading. You’ll see the color palette for background color. Select the color you want to apply on table background.
To apply table border line and color
- Select the table and go to Design tab.
- Now, click Borders and you’ll get a drop-down list.
- Click Borders and Shading.
- You’ll get Borders and Shading window.
- Style: Select the border-line style.
- Color: Select the color you want for border line.
- Width: Select how much width you want for border line.
- Apply to: Make sure Table is selected for applying border settings to the selected table.
- Once you’ve set the border settings, click OK button.